Thai ceramics were among the first Southeast Asian wares to be seriously studied, starting with WA Graham’s 1922 article “Pottery in Siam” in the Journal of the Siam Society. The field only gained momentum in the 1960s following Charles Nelson Spinks’ important contributions on Tai pottery and in the 1970s from the discovery of the Prasat Ban Phluang temple site.
According to Brown, the site of Singburi may have been founded by potters from the North who sought safety during the troubled times of the 1550s, when the Burmese invaded Thailand.
The kilns of Singburi date to the late 16th century and into the 17th, when its jars sank near Africa with the Dutch ship, the Witte Leeuw, in 1613.
Singburi wares are “primarily unglazed stoneware storage jars with thick handles and baluster jars, sometimes with stamped pictorial decoration (includes elephants) on the shoulder, plus other wares such as basins almost identical to Phitsanulok” and “excavations began in 1988” (Brown 1988: 84, 95-96) It may have been active until Ayutthaya was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767.
|Storage jar from the Maenam Noi kilns, Singburi with a thick mouthrim; 4 horizontal lugs around shoulder with a moulded horizontal band just above them; streaky brown slip on upper body. Such jars were found on the Royal Nanhai wreck (Brown and Sjostrand 2003: colour plate 35).
Mid-15th to mid-16th C
H: 26 cm
NUS Museum S2003-0022-003-0
Source: Brown 1988